Sometimes you have to give the patient a refund, for example when the patient made an overpayment, you made an accounting error, or you continued collecting payments after the patient exceeded his or her annual deductible or out-of-pocket amount. One advantage to using the Dentrix Ascend Pay integration is that you can initiate and record refund transactions directly in the Ascend ledger.
Watch this video to learn how to refund a credit card payment using Dentrix Ascend Pay. (Duration: 2:18)
- Note: To reverse a payment before 10 PM on the day that it was posted, you void the credit card payment. After that, you must refund the credit card payment.
- Currently, you can refund only the full amount processed; you cannot refund a portion of the payment.
- Credit Card Refunds:
- If the payment is up to 45 days old, the patient does not have to be present. All you need to do is click Refund on the Edit Payment dialog and the full amount will be refunded back to the credit card originally used.
- If the payment is over 45 days old, the patient must be present to swipe/insert their card. The refund will be issued (transferred) to the credit card that the customer swipes at the terminal. The patient can use any card at the terminal to refund the payment.
- Debit Card Refunds: If the payment is up to 1 (one) day old, the patient must be present to swipe/insert their card. The refund will be issued (transferred) to the card that the customer swipes at the terminal. The patient can use any card at the terminal to refund the payment.
- To learn more about refunding credit card payments using Ascend Pay, read Refunding credit card payments in the Resource Center.